RSP Home River Severn Tales Chris Witts

Severn Bridges   Shropshire

42

CREWGREEN BRIDGE (Melverley Bridge)

Crewgreen

Built: 1947


Built as a railway bridge for the Criggion branch of the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Railway for carrying War Emergency materials. Bridge saved from demolition in 1962 and converted to a road bridge.

43

MONTFORD BYPASS BRIDGE

Montford

Built: 1992

Designer: Sir Owen Williams & Partners

The bridge was built by Nuttal & Co and opened in August 1992.

44

MONTFORD BRIDGE

Montford

Built: 1792

Designer: Thomas Telford

Telford’s first bridge in Shropshire, built by John Carline and John Tilley. Built from red sandstone from the Bradford Estate Quarry. Repaired in 1962 following substantial frost damage.

45

FRANKWELL FOOTBRIDGE

Shrewsbury

Built: 1979

Designer: Mott, Hay & Anderson

Built by Bovis Construction as a cable stayed bridge with a span of 100 feet.

46

WELSH BRIDGE

Shrewsbury

Built: 1795

Designers: Carline & Tilley

Records show that a bridge has been on this site since 1262. Early illustrations show a turreted gateway of 1539 which was removed in 1791. The bridge was taken down in 1793 when construction began on the present one.

47

PORTHILL FOOTBRIDGE

Shrewsbury

Built: 1922

Designer: David Rowell & Co

The cost of building this traditional suspension bridge was funded by the Shropshire Horticultural Society.

48

KINGSLAND BRIDGE

Shrewsbury

Built: 1881

Designer: Thomas C Townsend

The two-hinged through arch bridge was constructed of wrought iron and mild steel by Cleveland Bridge Company with a span of 212 feet. It was officially opened on the 30th July 1881. It is now a toll road bridge.

49

GREYFRIARS FOOTBRIDGE

Shrewsbury

Built: 1879

 

Built by Cochrane Co. Of Dudley the bridge has a span of 150 feet and is constructed of wrought iron with a hog-backed Pratt truss/lattice girder.

50

ENGLISH BRIDGE

Shrewsbury

Built: 1774

Designer: John Gwynn

It was to be six years from designing the bridge until it was opened. Between 1925 and 1927 the bridge was completely rebuilt with its steep gradient halved. Queen Mary officially  re-opened the bridge on the 13th August 1927.

51

SHREWSBURY RAILWAY STATION BRIDGE

Shrewsbury

Built: 1838

Engineers: R Stephenson & J Locke

The original arches were built in 1848 with the outer steel girders added in 1903.

52

CASTLE WALK FOOTBRIDGE

Shrewsbury

Built: 1951

Designer: T Bennet & Son

When built this was the first pre-stressed concrete balanced cantilever bridge in the UK. It replaced a steel suspension bridge of 1910. The main contractors were Taylor Woodrow Construction Ltd and engineers L G Mouchel & Partners Ltd.

53

TELFORD WAY BRIDGE

Shrewsbury

Built: 1964

Designer: Scott-Wilson

A pre-stressed concrete cantilever bridge, suspended in mid section. The bridge has a span of 300 feet.

54

SHREWSBURY BYPASS BRIDGE

Shrewsbury

Built: 1992

Designer: Sir Owen Williams & Partner

Contractor for building the bridge was Sir A McAlpine & Co.

55

SHREWSBURY BYPASS BRIDGE

Shrewsbury

Built: 1992

 Designer: Sir Owen Williams & Partner

Contractor for building the bridge was Sir A McAlpine & Co.

56

BELVIDERE RAILWAY BRIDGE

Shrewsbury

Built: 1848

Designer: William Baker

Main contractor was Hammond & Murray and the bridge metalwork was cast at Coalbrookdale.

57

SHREWSBURY BYPASS BRIDGE

Shrewsbury

Built: 1992

 Designer: Sir Owen Williams & Partner

Contractor for building the bridge was Sir A McAlpine & Co.

58

ATCHAM NEW BRIDGE

Atcham

Built: 1929

Designer: L G Mouchel

The bridge took two years to build and was officially opened on 24th October 1929 by the Minister of Transport, Herbert Morrison MP. It replaced John Gwynn’s bridge of 1769.

59

ATCHAM BRIDGE

Atcham

Built: 1776

Designer: John Gwynn

Building work began in 1768 by William Biddle, but in 1772 he asked to be relieved of his contract. John Gwynn completed construction. This was the first bridge that Gwynn built over the Severn. The bridge is now a National Monument.

60

CRESSAGE BRIDGE

Cressage

Built: 1913

Designer: L G Mouchel

A hollow construction of reinforced concrete with a span of 170 feet.

61

BUILDWAS BRIDGE

Buildwas

Built: 1992

Engineers: K B Madelin

The earliest bridge on this site was built by the monks from the nearby Abbey. In 1795 the great flood destoyed a bridge which was replaced in 1796 by one of Thomas Telford’s cast iron structures. This was replaced in 1905.

62

IRONBRIDGE “A” ROAD BRIDGE

Coalbrookdale

Built: 1932


Constructed for access to the Power Station. It is a Pratt truss steel bridge with a continuous span to allow for unobstructed flow of the Severn through the bridge when in flood. The bridge is now closed to traffic.

63

IRONBRIDGE “B” ROAD BRIDGE

Coalbrookdale

Built: 1963

Engineers: J Laing Construction

A cantilever three span concrete road bridge. Built to the east of the previous bridge to serve the new power station.

64

ALBERT EDWARD RAILWAY BRIDGE

Coalbrookdale

Built: 1864

Designer: John  Fowler

Cast and erected by the Coalbrookdale Company using the same patterns as for the Victoria Bridge of two years previous. The bridge is still in use for diesel locomotives with merry-go-round trains of coal to the Ironbridge “B” Power Station.

65

IRON BRIDGE

Ironbridge

Built: 1779

Designer: Thomas F Pritchard

The first bridge in the world to be constructed of cast iron. With a span of 100 feet it was opened on 1st January 1781. It fell into disrepair and was restored in the 1970s. Now the centre piece for the Ironbridge Gorge Museum.

66

JACKFIELD BRIDGE

Jackfield

Built: 1994

Designer: Gifford & Partners

An Asymmetric Cable Stay design with a span of 57 metres and a steel tower of 30 metres. It replaced a Grade II listed bridge which had become uneconomical to repair.

67

WAR MEMORIAL FOOTBRIDGE

Coalport

Built: 1922


A steel framed footbridge erected as a memorial to those who died in WWI. It was deemed unsafe for use in 1997 and closed but re-opened in 1998. During 2014 the bridge was extensively restored.

68

COALPORT BRIDGE

Coalport

Built: 1818

Designer: William Hayward

The original bridge was built of timber in 1777 and was of two spans. Extensively damaged by floods of 1795 it was converted to a single span with timber deck on iron ribs. Rebuilt to an all iron bridge in 1818 by J Onions.

69

COALPORT SEWAGE WORKS BRIDGE

Coalport



Built to serve the Coalport Sewage Treatment Works.


Photo Credit: Kevin Sidmore

70

APLEY PARK BRIDGE

Apley Forge

Built: 1905

Designer: David Rowell & Co

Reputed to have been built for the Lord of the Estate to enable his son to go hunting on the other side of the Severn.



71

SEVERN BRIDGE

Bridgnorth

Re-built: 1823

Designer: Thomas Telford

The bridge has been re-built and continuously developed from mediaeval times. It carried a chapel to St Osyth on it until 1538. Major work was carried out on the bridge in 1960.

73

BRIDGNORTH BYPASS BRIDGE

Bridgnorth

Built: 1985

 

Officially opened on 29th March 1985.

74

HAMPTON LOADE WATER TREATMENT BRIDGE

Hampton Loade

Built: 1965

Engineers: Shand & Co Ltd

Built for use by South Staffordshire Water and in an emergency for use by the Emergency services.

75

HIGHLEY-ALVELEY FOOTBRIDGE

Highley

Built: 2006


Built to replace the Alveley Collier Bridge which had been built in 1937 for trains to service Stourport on Severn Power Station.

Photo Credit: Kevin Sidmore


All photographs taken by Chris Witts unless otherwise indicated

as of 2015

Powys Bridges   Shropshire Bridges   Worcestershire Bridges

Gloucestershire Bridges   Severn Estuary Bridges   Dismantled Bridges

72

TERRIERS BRIDGE

Bridgnorth

Built: 2004

Engineers: 100 Field Squadron Mon RE (M)

The bridge replaced a Bailey Bridge which gives access to Bylet Bowling Club on the island. Previous to that bridge access to the island was by boat. Young Territorial Army volunteers constructed the new bridge.

Photomarine . Sharpness Shipping . Links . Gloucester Shipyard