RSP Home River Severn Tales Chris Witts

Severn Bridges   Gloucestershire

91

MYTHE BRIDGE



Tewkesbury

Built: 1826


Designer: Thomas Telford


In the December of 1823 Thomas Telford was appointed designer and engineer to build the first bridge to cross the Severn at this point. When appointed Telford was still involved with building the Menai Straits Suspension Bridge.

92

HAW BRIDGE

Tirley

Built: 1961


The original bridge had been built in 1825 to replace a ferry. On 20th December 1958 an empty tanker barge came down river when in flood. The wheelhouse struck the bridge causing the span to drop onto the barge, killing the skipper.

93

WALHAM BRIDGE

Gloucester

Built: 1983

Designer: South West Road Construction

The contractor, Sir Alfred McAlpine, built the bridge as part of the Gloucester Outer Ring Road. A major refurbishment was made to the bridge in 2015.

94

BLACK BRIDGE

Gloucester

Built: 1957


The original railway bridge had been designed by Brunel and called the Pump House Bridge. It had a centre column in the river which caused problems for the large river craft negotiating the tight bend beneath.

95

WESTGATE BRIDGE

Gloucester

Built: 2000


There are three bridges here, the middle one is footpath only, either side are the inner and outer roads to the city. Since 1170 there has been a bridge at this site, an important gateway to Gloucester.

96

CASTLE MEADS FOOTBRIDGE

Gloucester

Built: 1987

Designer: Laminated Wood Ltd

Designed, built and erected by Laminated Wood Ltd of Bideford, the bridge was built to link Castle Meads car park, (on the site of the old power station), with Severn Road. It was opened at 3pm on Friday 13th November 1987.

97

CASTLE MEADS BRIDGE

Gloucester

Built: 2005


Built to complete the missing link of the Gloucester Outer Ring Road.

98

LLANTHONY RAILWAY BRIDGE (disused)

Gloucester



Originally built as a swing bridge with a steam engine located at the docks end. The bridge is now unsafe and closed to the public.

99

LLANTHONY LOCK FOOTBRIDGE

Gloucester



A private footbridge linking Llanthony Road to the lock-keepers cottages on the site of the now disused Llanthony Lock. The bridge and lock are now owned by the Herefordshire & Gloucestershire Canal Trust.

100

MAISEMORE BRIDGE

Gloucester

Built: 1956

Engineers: A E Farr Ltd

Construction began in 1939 but was stopped due to WWII. It was officially opened by the Duke of Beaufort on 28th June 1956. Six previous bridges have stood here since 1230

101

NEW OVER BRIDGE

Gloucester

Built: 1974

Designer: South West Construction

Built by Marples Ridgeway to replace the now historic Telford’s Over Bridge (101).

102

OVER BRIDGE

Gloucester

Built: 1831

Designer: Thomas Telford

Based on a design of 1768 by French architect Jean-Rodolphe Perronet. Telford designed the bridge in 1824. When opened the crown of the arch sank 10” when removing the centering. Now closed to traffic and is a National Monument.

103

OVER RAILWAY BRIDGE

Gloucester

Built: 1957


During 1992 scientists from East Anglia University constructed special erosion reducing pillars in front of the bridge piers. A second experiment in 1994 involved lowering accoustic sonar equipment into the river during floods to measure turbulence.

The River Severn splits at Gloucester to form two channels known as The Parting.

Bridges 92 to 98 are located in the East Channel of The Parting

Bridges 99 to 102 are located in the West Channel of The Parting

All photographs taken by Chris Witts unless otherwise indicated

as of 2015

Powys Bridges   Shropshire Bridges   Worcestershire Bridges

Gloucestershire Bridges   Severn Estuary Bridges   Dismantled Bridges

Photomarine . Sharpness Shipping . Links . Gloucester Shipyard