It is late May at 10am on what will be a hot and sunny day. But not now, for a thick fog hangs over the River Severn off Lydney.
Lydney Docks was opened in 1813 to trans-ship iron and coal from the Forest of Dean. During the 1960s timber was brought here by barge from Avonmouth. The dock remained in commercial use until the 1980s.